I’ve been reading Rebel Ideas by Matthew Syed this week, and I’m enjoying his commentary on the deliberate construct of teams to thrive in a complex world.
“The growth of the future will be catalyzed by those who can transcend the categories we impose on on the world”
In a nutshell, this means “think outside the box”.
And he gives us a 4-step approach to building the teams that are most likely to do that:
- Demographically diverse – gender, race, age etc – this is the one we are all most familiar with.
- Cognitively diverse – differing thinking styles and disciplines – such as mixing engineers with artists.
- Individually adaptable – many great innovators come from multi-cultural/disciplinary backgrounds, creating an aptitude for adaptability and alternating perspective.
- Psychologically safe – so that different opinions can be raised without compromise.
Very much worth a read if building high performing teams in complex environments keeps you up at night.
What books are you reading that are noteworthy?
PS: Here are 4 ways that I can help you start doing business differently:
- Mentor Human Resources leaders
- Leadership confidence Coach
- Facilitate Change conversations
- Advise HR suppliers