No, I’m not spruiking a new diet – I’m talking about change!
The ‘horrible middle’ is a phrase coined by Harvard’s Rosabeth Kantor, who says that change is
“90% perspiration and 10% inspiration”
Everything looks like a failure in the middle. Everyone loves inspiring beginnings and happy endings; it is the middle that requires you to be more resourceful and more resilient.
And yet, this tends to be when the project wraps up and we hand over to our front line leaders to go forth and deliver ROI.
This results in negativity, a lack of momentum, and a return to old habits – only with far fewer resources. Not ideal!
Tips to escape the ‘horrible middle’:
- Is your raison d’etre still true & your vision still compelling?
- Are people still with you, celebrating success along the way?
- Is your forecasted budget, headcount or time feasible?
- Can you find synergies with other projects that could give you a much-needed boost?
>>What experience do you have of the ‘horrible’ middle and what do you do about it?
If you’re looking to start doing business differently this year, here’s how I can help:
- Change Facilitator
- Executive Coach
- HR Mentor & Thought Partner